Monday, January 25, 2010

Photo of the Day 25: bad taste

My dental history is chequered. As a result of too many close encounters with the drill, I am on the look out for anything that might help me hang onto my teeth for as long as possible. So I bought the innocuous-looking Corsodyl Daily toothpaste from Boots when it was on promotion. I have used the Cordosyl mouthwash now and again - foul stuff that stains your teeth, makes your food taste rank, but does also help stop your teeth falling out if your gums are getting a bit lax.
The little diagram on the back should have been a clue.

Anyway, turns out that 'unique taste and sensation' is copy-writing code for 'this is THE MOST DISGUSTING TOOTHPASTE EVER.' It's hard to sum up the sheer evil of it. Imagine rock salt mixed with pink soap and a quick spray of some kind of herbal eco-perfume (like when you accidentally breathe in too soon after a squirt of eau de cologne), with added clay to give a claggy texture that ensures the taste won't disappear for at least twenty minutes after you've brushed. However, as it cost £2.99, and the diagram promised increased product satisfaction over time, I decided to keep going. It became a ritual, morning and night, to see if I could endure.
And guess what? You can get used to pretty much anything. In fact, I wonder if they made it extra nasty on purpose. I also wonder if that's a peculiarly British, or maybe Western, view: that in order for something to do you good, it must taste foul (see also, cod liver oil).

My gums seem quite peachy so far, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger ChrisH said...

Wishing you a gumtastic birthday tomorrow!

7:42 pm  
Blogger Calistro said...

Urrrggh! I tried this toothpaste recently and it's DISGUSTING! Spat it out straight away. Give me Colgate any day! :)

4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home