Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Shelf Life

So, the book’s out there, and I’ve seen it looking very sparkly in Smiths, Sainsbury’s, Woolworths but not yet in Asda (though I have had many reported sightings). There’s a retail saying that applies to books and their shelf life – ‘longer than milk, shorter than yogurt’. That might surprise you as much as it did me when I first heard it, but it is true – unless a novel begins to sell very quickly in the first few days (and of course, technology makes it possible for stores to see at a glance how many ‘units’ have been sold), the chances are that it will be removed from the shelves without ceremony, to make way for the next book…which is a very scary thought for an author. The retail world, as we all know, is a chilly and potentially inhospitable place at the moment, and sending your book out there feels like sending your baby off to the workhouse to earn its keep.

The good news for me is that so far The Secret Shopper's Revenge is earning its keep – it's in the fiction bestseller chart today - so sincere thanks for anyone who has bought it, and for all the lovely messages. I’m cracking on with the next book, so going quiet again, but I really am so grateful that people are being kind to my 'baby.'

Oh, and if you want to know more about the background to the book, there's an interview with me by the brilliant Danuta Kean on the Orion website,
Kate x

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lane said...

It's in my local Sainsbury's right by the kiosk and the magazines. I stroke it every time I go in:-)

I hope it sells by the bucket load Kate.

12:09 pm  
Blogger Mummy said...

Glad to hear it's going to so well, Kate! I saw it in our ASDA living store this morning - 3 shelves full in fact! Some under their 'Book CLub' and then more in the paperback chart - fantastic to see! YAY!

12:29 pm  
Blogger JJ said...

I bought it when I saw it on the new arrivals table at Kinokuniya in Bangkok and I've just finished reading it. I loved it. It was great fun. I look forward to the next one.

1:06 pm  
Blogger ChrisH said...

It'll probably take another three million years to get to the remote regions of West Wales but I am off to the heaving metropolis of Carmarthen tomorrow so will look out for it there.

3:23 pm  
Blogger CC Devine said...

I bought it yesterday! Am four chapters in and loving it so far.

Here's to great sales figures!! I'm sure the sparkly cover will help :)

9:34 am  
Blogger Kate Lord Brown said...

Great news! Congratulations. Wow ... milk, yoghurt ... all these new things to worry about.

6:52 pm  
Blogger Julian Meteor said...

If it's not in Aldi I will NOT be able to buy it :(
I would LOVE to read it, but it would NOT be worth voiding my loyalty card for.
NOTHING is.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

I've given it away twice for Christmas. Now I'll have to go and buy my own copy!!!

4:55 pm  
Blogger Secret Slimmer said...

I loved Secret Shoppers Revenge, I loved the Brown Owl book as well...now I'm frantically looking for the others! I can't find them anywhere!! I've checked Borders and WH Smiths and nothing! It's so frustrating! I tend to find a good book, then read all the other books by that author (as you know you can trust them to be a good read!) Thanks for the entertainment so far! xx

8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home