Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Glittery book in a store near you….


Woohoo, The Secret Shopper's Revenge is out in paperback this week! And very satisfyingly chunky it is too. It is also the first book I’ve had published that features glittery bits on the cover. Obviously other books have glittery stuff, but mine is extra glittery. Go on. Stroke the screen. Use your imagination. It feels a little bit rough, doesn't it, like festive sandpaper?

The cover also features cute charms below the title – those were my idea!

I’m always excited and nervous when a novel comes out, and this time is no exception. Especially as the book is the Asda Book Club book of the month for December, which means it should be in all their stores AND if you buy it in Asda, you get an extra section at the back with special material from my three secret shoppers – a guide to luxury on a budget from Grazia, advice from Lucy on how NOT to be treated like dirt by shop assistants, and a shopper’s guide to spotting the best stores by Sandie. And all for the same cover price… I believe it’s also in the WH Smith’s travel stores as their book of the week, too (not sure WHICH week) so if you see one in a station or airport let me know. Or if you see one at all, I'd love to hear how it looks. I can never quite believe it's on sale until I have confirmed independent sightings...

The novel begins just a few days before Christmas, with my poor underdog heroine Emily (not Lucy, as I wrote before - doh! I get my characters confused!) realising that her dreams of a perfect celebration in London aren’t going to plan – read the first chapter here – and as the book even looks a bit like a parcel, it makes a great present...!

Right, end of hard sell. Back to reality.

In other news, have hit a bit of a block with the new novel. I’m at the 25,000 words stage of an extremely rough draft and am now wondering what to throw at my characters next. I also have a cold and have just hit my head on the door above the washing machine, so I don’t think I’ll be finishing the Nanowrimo challenge unless I can write 25,000 more words in five days. This would be technically possible but utterly insane.

Ah well, knew it was too good to last.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Lane said...

Congratulations. Can't wait to get a copy. The cover looks soo touchy feely:-)

Hope that cold gets better. x

9:44 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

How exciting! You can be on my Christmas list this year and next time we meet I will be bringing you books to sign for me (as you need to be on my special shelf!). x

10:23 am  
Blogger ChrisH said...

Oooh, severe glitter envy here! All good wishes for the book - 25000 is always a tough bit, you know the answer - keep going!

10:30 am  
Blogger Mummy said...

oooh it looks fantastic! I'll put a copy on my Christmas list straight away! I've failed on the NaNo novel this year too, by a looong shot!

10:48 am  
Blogger DOT said...

Ouch! I have just sandpapered my fingers on the glitter from the cover of your book on my screen. Expect a letter from my lawyers - ignore the fact they will be congratulating you on your coup.

11:41 am  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

Oh Kate, that looks FANTASTIC. You are dead on the money about shop assistants when you've had a baby. Used to HATE shopping when mine were small for that reason. Congrats. Will look out for you in Asdas and Smiths (see you in Smiths the week before Chrimbo - I'll be there too!)Will be recommneding this to all my friends.

11:54 am  
Blogger Sally Lawton said...

What a cute cover. I'll be rushing to ASDA asap to grab a copy before they all go :-)

1:38 pm  
Blogger liz fenwick said...

Hope the head feels better and isn't filled with cold. great to see you last week. can't wait to read Shopper's when I return to blighty!

lx

10:44 am  
Blogger Fiona said...

I loved this book and am reading it for the second time which is very rare for me.

I like the depth and grittness of it along with the humour and each chapter leads you into the next so you end up reading the whole book in two or three nights. Exhausting!

10:25 pm  
Blogger JJ said...

Ooooh, when you said 'in a store near you...' my heart sank a little because, well, you know I'm in Bangkok.

BUT GUESS WHAT? Yesterday I found a glittery book in a store near ME! Ha. Isn't that exciting? I've posted about it over at mine today.

8:01 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh, thank you so much. Lane, yes, it is touchy feely and Caroline I'll be honoured to be on your special shelf!

ChrisH I shall try to keep going and Mummy, glad I'm not the only one to have failed - I guess I could try to do 25,000 words today but it would be life threatening...

9:17 am  
Blogger Kate said...

DOT - I shall have to enter a warning on the website - stroke the screen at your own risk!

And Jules, what fun it'll be together in Smiths. Sally, I am sure there'll be a few copies left - and Fiona, thanks for your lovely comment, so glad you enjoyed it and also found it a little bit gritty as well as light...I like to try to have a few things to say even in a glittery book!

9:20 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Oooh, JJ, that's so exciting! Thanks for posting the picture, I may have to nick it as I haven't seen a copy yet myself except for a single one in Waterstone's Richmond, spine out on the shelf...

9:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lover of chick lit and shopping and I am a very discerning chick lit reader...am stuck at home with a bad back and bored witless so sent hubby to buy me a book (has to come from Asda as it's as far as he's willing to venture in the snow) and he picked me this one (as I am 'too crippled to shop' and 'it's sarkly...look') and I can't put it down (well obviously I have - only to google you and find out about your other books!) I am try to not read this book fast as I don't want the total devestation that coms from finishing a good read! Love it! Thank you

12:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S I can spell...and type but for some reason, known only to itself, my spiteful laptop has decided to miss letters out of my last post ;)

12:44 pm  
Blogger Sarah*G* said...

I already have the hard back but am a sucker for a glittery cover! What to do?

I am stopping by to say thank you for the donation to my Justgiving page.

9:27 pm  
Blogger CC Devine said...

I spied it in WHSmiths at Paddington this week. It looked fabulously sparkly and rather prominently displayed too!!

4:38 pm  
Anonymous Joey Garr said...

Hi Kate,
I really enjoyed reading your book.I look forward to your next publication.
All my best and good luck,
Joey Garr
http://www.askjoeygarr.com

11:25 am  
Blogger 日月神教-向左使 said...

性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,ut聊天室

9:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home