Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pure Passion

I ransack public libraries and find them full of sunk treasure.

Virginia Woolf


What a weekend here in the 'burbs! Sky high temperatures, the scent of BBQ in the air...we put our brand new bargain basement sunloungers through their paces, big-style.

And then this morning it's back to grey spring weather. I'm actually longing for a bit of rain, if I'm honest, the plants are looking frazzled. I'd like a good thunderstorm. And then more sun. Got that?

But to brighten up this grey day, I'm really thrilled about Pure Passion, which is a North West Libraries scheme launched this week to promote "some of the best contemporary Romantic Fiction available to borrow from your public library." And Brown Owl's Guide to Life is one of their titles. It's lovely to be featured alongside fab writers like Katie Fforde, Neil Gaiman, Erica James, Adele Parks and many more...

I think this is such a great promotion - and not just because I'm in it! First of all, the diversity of the titles is the best possible illustration of what a wide genre romantic fiction is. Second, libraries are such brilliant places, yet in many areas, they're comparatively under-used: it's a real case of use it or lose it, so if your membership has lapsed, please go and renew it. Some councils do see library services as a 'soft target' when making cuts and the best way to retain your local service is to get borrowing. I love my local libary - it even has its own garden at the back, where you can read the papers on a sunny day - and I see it as such a privilege being able to take my pick of books without paying a penny. It really encourages experimentation and risk-taking in your reading. As an author I also approve - writers are given Public Lending Right money each year, to reflect loans (it's around 4.5p per loan) so everyone's happy.

I'm also chuffed to little mintballs that they've picked Brown Owl: it's set in and around Cheshire, Manchester and Salford, areas where I spent a lot of time when I was growing up. I'm going to be doing some events to tie in with the promotion, dates to be confirmed, and it'll be lovely to go back.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous sheepish said...

The Library scheme sounds brilliant and I agree with you that everyone should use their Library.
My local library is rather limited but the one in the nearby town is excellent, and the local one will always order books for you.

I didn't make it for the last Coffee break as I was away for the weekend, then when I logged on on Monday and saw Friday 13th, Coffee break 13 and comments 13 ooooh I didn't dare add a word.

Look forward to this week's instead.

8:18 am  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

Yes hurrah, hurrah for libraries, Kate. When I was at Scholastic, I met some fabulously talented and enthusiastic librarians who ended up being among my greatest supporters. The NW lot were particularly good.

And very glad Brown Owl is getting the attention she deserves!!

Which reminds me, brownies starts again tonight...

love Janex
PS Does this mean you get to MEET Neil Gaiman???? He is soooo fantastic!!

10:08 am  
Blogger Lucy Diamond said...

Wow, that's brilliant. Great news!

5:13 pm  
Blogger Julia Buckley said...

Great stuff. And nice timing to go with summer hols too.

1:03 pm  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Really glad you're in 'Pure Passion'. And, yes, three trillion cheers for libraries. Coincidentally, I wrote half a blog post about our local one this week, but it got canned in favour of the sheep man. Will probably fish it out and polish it up for posting another time.

7:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home