Wednesday, April 11, 2007

'Free' time

So...I worked all weekend on my edits (well, in between choc-scoffing and a fab stay at the Malmaison Hotel at the old Oxford Prison) and emailed them off on Monday evening.

Since then I have:
  • watched the last, fab episode of Life on Mars (curiously I fancy both John Simm AND Philip Glenister. Though I prefer John Simm);
  • done my VAT return;
  • started a new file for the new tax year;
  • paid a lump sum off the monster gas bill that we somehow incurred over the winter;
  • replied to SOME of the emails sitting unanswered in my inbox;
  • had a fascinating conversation about hearing loss with a woman from the RNID;
  • finished off my feature about hearing loss and hearing aids with the information from the conversation;
  • written a two-page treatment for a movie version of the book I've just finished;
  • begun writing the script for the movie version...

Sadly, the last two don't mean I have Hollywood producers banging down the door, but I am going to send the script to the Script Factory under their friendly producers scheme (I wonder how friendly they are exactly? We need to be told). I don't hold out much hope as I find scripts quite tricky but it's a rare opportunity to get some material read (you can only submit if you've been on one of their courses) so, nothing ventured, eh? And also it gets the opening of the book clearer in my mind, by imagining it as a movie.

I had promised myself a break after the edits but once I've done the script, and done a piece for Norm's blog about a favourite book, I will take it easy. At least until I get the comments back on the first draft.

Oh, and I have a new blog I like: if you haven't come across her novels, Jojo Moyes is mistress of fantastically intense emotional books, with great settings and fascinating ideas. And her blog's cool too.

6 Comments:

Blogger hellojed said...

Wow, you're making my procrastination look even worse. Congrats on your burst of energy!

12:52 pm  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

Kate I fancy them both too!!! I was so tangled up by the end of that I couldn't work out where John Sim had been - was he dreaming about the future (so how come he knew about Shergar) all along? Or was he really undercover?

I now sooooo don't believe them that this is it!!!

Glad you enjoyed Malmaison too.

love jx

Oh and is it just me , but did you think that maybe just maybe there was a nod to Total Recall in there???

3:01 pm  
Blogger China Blue said...

Well, that's inspired me. I'm also in procrastination's grip, but a week off work ought to put paid to that.

I've had a crush on John Simm since I was about 14; I'm 27 now. He is gorgeous.
Although I don't fancy Glenister, I agree that there is something really 'hott' about the Hunt character - it's the one-liners and the leather gloves. Always a winning combo for me ;-)

4:13 pm  
Blogger sheepish said...

I somehow managed to miss Life on Mars one of the downsides to living in France is not knowing whats hot on tele til its too late. Have to hope for a rerun.
You are obviously buzzing at the moment writing wise, I on the other hand am feeling stifled by the house sale. Am going away for the weekend and hoping for some inspiration.

Good luck with the film script how cool would that be?

5:28 pm  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

Kate, also meant to say am a big fan of Jojo Moyles as got to write the reader's notes for the RNA prize last year on Ship of Brides and thought it was beautiful and very poignant... and of course, wished I'd written it!!!

Am currently watching the entire series of Green Wing of which I only caught snippets when it was on, and am studying the Mac/Caroline relationship for key romantic moments, as in my view it's pitch perfect.

Just heard Hazel O'Connor's Will You on the radio and have decided I have to use it in all my books (I already did last time) as that to, is pitch perfect for those will they/won't they moments.

love Janex

7:13 pm  
Blogger Nichola said...

Ha ha, I thought me and my mate Debs were the only ones who fancied The Simm and The Glenister!

Was very disappointed with the ending though...it seemed to fall flat.

I'll definitely watch the follow-up as The Glenister's going to be in it!

7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home