Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What would Richard Curtis do?

Word count: 29,169

Found it really tricky to get back into my stride yesterday - it's lovely to go away for the weekend, but settling down afterwards can be tricky. Not sure how come a trip always seems to generate approximately three times as much washing as being at home, too.

So, anyhow, it's back to the drawing board. I am guessing that I may be a shade under 1/3rd of the way through the first draft right now. That's a little shorter than my previous books, but the story I am writing is frothier, in the best possible way, ideally like a good cappuccino (with a double-espresso-shot kick).

I'm having fun with it, though this is usually when 'saggy middle' syndrome kicks in. That's one of my reasons for trying to write a first draft as fast as possible, because the momentum propels me along.

I was also having a chat with my agent the other day about advance planning, and how far to go. In some of my books, I haven't quite known what action my heroine would end up taking: which of two men she might choose, for example (or even whether she might choose neither). Agent was of the firm belief that you ought to know in advance. I do see her point with the one I am writing at the moment: the chapters are currently bursting with rather lovely chaps, all of whom could be good potential matches for my character (though she doesn't acknowledge that for a second). But I know which one I want...

Having said that, I don't totally know HOW it'll happen. But because this is much more of a rom com than my previous ones (my current catchphrase: 'what would Richard Curtis do?'), I am embracing my inner fluffiness, and daydreaming about how they might finally get together.

It's FUN! And a great antidote to the winter blues.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous sarah said...

Hi Kate

Am I too late to join the Novel race? This seems like the ideal thing to keep me writing and Inspired. I've started my novel - written about 10,000 words and cuurently doing a novel writing course at the City University in London. Let me know

Sarah

1:26 pm  
Blogger Sezzie said...

Hi Kate

You are catching up with me at an alarming rate! I will have to start working through the night!!

A book full of lovely men? Can't wait to read it!

Glad you had a good time in Prague - loved the piccies.

My weekend in the Cotswolds was blissful - just what I needed.

But I must now knuckle down and finish the last 18,000 words. I am finding I just want to get on with the editing now as I have so many things I want to change! Is that normal?

4:48 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Sarah,
You're not too late at all - but give me a few days to organise it, promise to add you to the list very soon.

Sezzie, no danger of me catching up just yet but isn't it fun with that element of competition!?!

Kate

10:48 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Actually, Sarah, just realised that I can't include you until you get a blog sorted - very easy to set up (now blogger's problems are resolved) and once you have, please add a new message here and I will add you to the list. The blog doesn't have to be very detailed at this stage, just somewhere you can post your word count!

Kate x

6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home