Monday, January 29, 2007

Snowy birthday

Just back from Prague, which was amazing, like being in a Bohemian fairy-tale populated by Japanese people with cameras. I am trying desperately to post some pictures but blogger is not playing ball. Will try later. Obvious, superficial things I learned:


  • It is impossible not to look extremely overweight when wearing 5 layers to keep out the sub-zero temperatures.

  • Even when you think you've warmed up and got used to it, you haven't (c.f. having a shower in hotel room and realising your legs are the temperature of blocks of ice).

  • I wish I'd gone there in 1989 (I did go to Berlin just after the wall came down and my main memories are of people trying to flog bits of concrete as genuine wall, of scary-looking punks, and of a very grim ex-Communist Youth Tourist Hotel where they served cold spaghetti for breakfast).

  • It is one of the prettiest places I've ever visited.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I've never been to Prague and I would love to. However I did go into East Berlin in 1981, on my own, and it was both scary and depressing. Made a good life writing piece for my A215 ECA though!

3:13 pm  
Blogger Jane Henry said...

We did Berlin after the wall came down and just before Checkpoint Charlie went (so we did get to drive through it). We stayed with a friend of my mil in E Berlin and her cousin in West, and you could still see the difference. Chiefly I remember beautiful old buildings in the centre of the East complete with bullet marks from the war - further out of course it was a concrete jungle and we stayed in a very depressing communist style apartment.

The west was all shiny and new and bright lights - everything stopped at 10pm in the east and went all night in the west. It was a wonderful experience and I'd love to go back someday.

My mil's family were all stuck in the east under communism and some of their stories are hairraising.

Glad you had a good time - I'd love to visit Prague some time.

love Janex

6:24 pm  
Anonymous Kathmcg said...

Berlin just after the wall came down? You weren't at The Wall concert by any chance? Thought I saw you there!

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home