Thursday, January 04, 2007

More words...and my desk

Word Count: 4660

Finished Chapter Two this morning, using the 'late in, early out' technique - basically, coming into a scene as late as you can, and cutting out of it before the action wanes.

I also thought I'd show you my desk, as I am fascinated by other people's workspaces (go on, post yours on your blog and link to it, especially my fellow racers).


I know I am really lucky that I now have a dedicated office - I wrote the first three books on my kitchen table/sitting on the sofa in front of the telly. I fondly imagined that having my own office would make me 10x more efficient, but I failed last year, hence the race really...
So, left to right, a stack of notebooks and notes on current novel; a stripy pen pot (including the letter knife that I now use to stab holes in the Persil washing capsules which are rubbish and stick to our washed clothes like used condoms if I don't stab them: the washing machine is right outside my office door); a lovely set of Laura Ashley glass jewellery drawers that I use for staples, stamps etc; rack with storage for all the back-up CDs I forget to use; drinking glass with Toord Boontje design; my reference library of baby name book, London A-Z, Dictionary, Book of Love quotations (which I fondly imagined would provide inspiration for romantic scenes); boxes with various bits in them; a funny little bird that I attach receipts to; a scented candle (a recent innovation - I am lighting it to show I am WRITING THE NOVEL in the hope it stops me getting diverted by blogs etc.); my laptop; a gorgeous bunch of flowers my friend brought over on New Year; my Mr Benn mousemat. Far right you can make out my printer, plus a noticeboard with a print out of the new jacket for The Self Preservation Society, and various money-off vouchers I forget to use. The view outside is lots of houses - mildly interesting, but not too distracting.
Missing from this pic: the cat. She has become DESPERATELY clingy since we got back from holiday, and sits on my lap as I type, making odd 'chatty' noises. Am getting worried she's suffering from feline dementia. Is there a word for hypochondria on behalf of your cat? But she's probably just missed us!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Today was supposed to be a working day, but instead I decided to revamp my office. I so wish that I hadn't started. I am at the 'no going back' stage. I will post a photo when I've finished ... hopefully by the end of the year.
Cx

5:39 pm  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh no! I so should have asked you for an interview since I just finished an article on women writers' workspaces! It's up now at WOW! (http://wow-womenonwriting.com/5-bethmorrissey.php)

6:45 pm  
Blogger Chaser said...

I bet she just missed you. You were gooooone!!!

Look at you and the words, buzzing right along there.

11:19 pm  
Anonymous Andrew said...

I have just sorted mine out for the new year. I have been ruthless and thrown all my rubbish away and tidied away all the clutter. It seems almost too sanitised now - wont stay that way for too much longer though...

Here is my current setup:-

Desk 07

and here is my dream writing setup:-

Writers Shed

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Dave Hill said...

Kate, am I allowed to join the race? It might be a problem for you that I'd want to take part in a slightly unorthodox way. Tell you what, I'll send you an email!

10:53 pm  
Blogger The Moon Topples said...

Kate: I have posted my desk for you. You'll have to nudge the cat off of the chair if you want to sit down, but you can also just look around if you don't wish to disturb him.

8:05 am  
Anonymous Kitchen Witch said...

I've posted my wretched desk too. Solidarity, or something similar! :)

1:14 pm  
Blogger sexy said...

A片,A片

徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信

徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,抓姦,外遇,尋人

11:31 am  
Blogger 黃立行Paul said...

cool!very creative!avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,情色

3:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home