Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The F Factor

Word: 26,094

I couldn't seem to get going this morning - there was the excitement of the snow outside, and then I went through the words I wrote yesterday and didn't like many of them, so spent ages tweaking, and then I had a call from my agent about the two ideas I've been working on.

She was really keen, with some fantastic feedback, and it made me feel excited about the projects again. Not that I wasn't before, but it makes such a huge difference when people believe in what you're doing. I'd also had some more excellent feedback the other day from another writer, which helped pinpoint a few little niggly issues, but said the same thing, that Option A in particular seems to be working well...

I think I'm currently benefiting from the F-Factor - standing for Fun. I'm having lots of fun with my writing at the moment. A lot of it is to do with the 'place' you're in as a person, I think. Not in an obvious way, it's not the case for example that happy author = happy book, automatically. But I do believe that we evolve both as people and as writers. I know I've changed since I wrote my first book: becoming a published writer has helped my confidence, the writing itself is now my job and that gives me a freedom that employment didn't. Plus things have changed in my personal life!

My earlier books were very preoccupied with how our childhoods influence the people we become: and though that still fascinates me, the older I get, the more focused I am on the NOW. I don't regret writing those books at all - they're still funny, I hope, and I love my characters, and their lives reflected the things I believe about relationships and finding fulfilment.

But with four novels under my belt, I seem to be having more fun with the present, with pushing the boundaries on the situations I create, and with the pleasures of combining story and character. It's what I've always done, but I feel a lightness there, a freedom to play.

This has become rather blathery so I will stop here. Anyway, it's a good day. We should celebrate them.

If you've been writing for some time, how do you feel your writing has changed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home