Monday, January 15, 2007

Another week...

Word Count: 11,020

Poor show, eh? But I've been editing Book 5 Option A, putting in some of the pop psychology facts I've been researching. Quite a fiddly job, but I'd like to send some to my agent and editor, and want it to be as enchanting as possible!

I also had my hair cut this afternoon, as a 'model' (i.e. haircut on the cheap, courtesy of a trainee who was being roundly told off by her mentor for cutting at the wrong angle. As I have lots of hair - down to my shoulder blades - I thought there was room for error).

We have two new racers: there's Jessica, who has set up a new blog to record her progress (see comments in the coffee break area for more info from her). And Lesley Cookman has a novel to finish by April, so she's joining too.

Plus, Dave has posted a picture of his desk. He assures me that a copy of Brown Owl's Guide to Life is in the pic somewhere. Hmmm....Bit like an authorly game of Where's Wally, eh?

Now, I must get on. My plan of writing 2 books per year won't happen unless I get some words down, will it? If I don't do 3,000 words by this time tomorrow, feel free to come and tell me off!

Lovely Link of the Day:
This guide to writing chick lit is a bit on the basic side, but then again, it has all the essentials. All you need now is the imagination. There's also a book by the same authors, called See Jane Write (disappointed that I can't find a dedicated website, though). Plus don't forget you can listen to the new Writing Lab from Radio 3 (about life-writing) only until the end of this week.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Keris said...

There's a See Jane Write page on Sarah's website: http://www.sarahmlynowski.com/details_see_jane_write.htm

I've just read the book and it is very basic, but it's good: sweet, funny, practical. Everything you need really.

Do you know there's another How To guide? Cathy Yardley's Will Write for Shoes. Got it, but haven't read it yet.

7:52 am  
Blogger liz fenwick said...

Thought the times article was good but as you basic. A good outline really....

Good luck on the words.

BTW how did your hair turn out?

does lesley have a blog?

7:59 am  
Anonymous Jen said...

I actually quite liked the basic-ness of the See Jane Write article. I found it quite good to have something easy to digest - acts as a friendly 'yeah, go on, you can do this' rather than making you freak about tecnical nuts and bolts, if that makes sense?

5:02 pm  
Blogger China Blue said...

Is it too late to join the Race?

10:01 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for the links, girls. Yes, sometimes basic is exactly what you need, rather than lots of theories. Love the title of 'Will write for shoes'!

And China Blue, I will add you! You may like to introduce yourself properly at the Friday Coffee Break.

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home