Saturday, December 09, 2006

Beeping hell

We have a mains smoke alarm, which works fine when tested, but keeps chirruping at the most annoying times. Like the middle of the night. And now. And I don't have a clue what to do about it...The boyf wants to disconnect it (after cutting the power, don't worry!) but I am worried we'll die of smoke inhalation in our sleep.

I have also had my first EVER cooking disaster. I tried to make the Parmesan biscuits as demonstrated at the Caldesi cookery school but they didn't give an oven temperature. I put them in a hot oven and they spread into a horrid, gunky, greasy mess, a bit like the topping you get on a cauliflower cheese (which is usually yummy) but far too much of it to be enjoyable. Quite cross, actually, imagine giving a printed recipe with no oven temp: we only got to make a few of the dishes each, of course, (in my case, lemon curd and fig paste) and were too busy to check what everyone else was up to. I think I needed a lower temperature but it's an awful waste of good cheese!

But these are minor niggles in the great scheme of life. It's a gorgeous day today, I've just sent my first assignment for my Open University Start Writing Plays course (completely different experience, writing plays, the actual WRITING of words to be spoken is the very end of the planning process) and shortly I will tackle my copy edits for The Self Preservation Society....

Oh, and the jacket is up on Amazon and Waterstones and here too in fact (ignore the blurb if you click through, that's ages out of date: i.e. it's now set around Greenham Common and Wiltshire rather than Bristol, and the character is younger, though the themes of fear etc are the same):

What do you think? It's my girliest cover yet, but I hope quite sophisticated - the girl is supposed to be wrapped in cotton wool, hence the 'shoutline' reading 'you can't always wrap yourself in cotton wool.' But we've been debating whether it might read better as 'are you afraid of everything?' Opinions, anyone?

Lovely Link of the Day:

Via Miss Snark, here's a good, straightforward guide to the process of getting published from author Laura Lippman.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sue M said...

Hi Kate,

Our smoke alarm makes the same irritating chirping sound when the battery is running low. Try putting a new battery in and hopefully it'll shut up!
Sue

3:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home