Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Malay Vegetable Pickle and Other Adventures

Number of Word for Potential New Book Idea: 2,591
Number of Jars of Pickle Made: 6

Number of New Bedroom Wardrobes Completed (not by me): 2
Number of New Floors Laid: 1 (in my study)

Yes, done loads today, even though I hate having work done in the house. Because I coudn't really go out (lots of questions to be answered) I made my favourite pickle instead and here are the instructions. It is FABEROONY.

Ingredients left to right: 225g sesame seeds (toasted in a dry frying pan: it gives off the most amazing smell); 600ml spiced vinegar (I used plain old Sarsons); 225g cauliflower, broken into small florets; 3 large or 5 medium carrots, sliced into 5mm pieces; 4 chillies, seeds removed and sliced thinly, lengthwise; 1 cucumber, sliced into 5mm pieces; 6 cloves of garlic, crushed; 15ml chilli powder; 10ml turmeric; 225g demerera sugar; 350g dry roasted peanuts, coarsely ground. Plus 150ml veg oil, not shown.

Method: wash all the veg, then boil the vinegar in a large stainless steel pan (I have an amazing thing called a Maslin from Lakeland). 'Scald' each kind of veg separately, by dunking batches in the boiling vinegar using a sieve (obviously a heat-proof one). The recipe has no guidelines on how long for, but I tended to hold the chunkier veg in for 30 seconds, less for the cucumber and chillies. Shake off the vinegar for each batch.

Mix the nuts, seeds and sugar in the biggest bowl you've got, and then add the shaken scalded veg (poor things). Then, mix the turmeric and chilli powder with some water to make a paste; heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and fry very softly (don't let it brown) for 1-2 minutes. Then add the spice paste and let it cool. Finally when it's cool, add the spicy oil to the veg, mix thoroughly. Put in washed jars which have been dried out in a low oven. I also put waxed circles (Lakeland or any cookshop) at the top of the jar. No idea if I had to do that.

It'll keep for a couple of months - but I'd be very surprised if it lasts that long. The recipe comes from the Harrods Book of Jams, Jellies and Chutneys, by Rosamond Richardson - I adore this book though it looks like it's out of print. Worth tracking down...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate.Kingsley said...

oooh, thank you very very much for that Kate ~ it looks delicious! I feel a trip to the supermarket coming on after work,

Thanks again

4:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks gorge. You are clearly a domestic goddess.

11:13 am  
Blogger Kate Allan said...

wow! in awe

11:54 am  
Blogger MuseinMeltdown said...

Now I really am jealous - not only can you write you can cook - I can't do both - that is my excuse and I am sticking to it...

Best wishes Shani

1:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home