Monday, October 02, 2006

Word-ache

I definitely have word-ache, now, a strange condition where reading any words but particularly my own triggers a strange sense of despair and distinct discomfort... I'm on the 3rd draft of Nameless Novel at the moment but when I read my work it feels horribly overwritten and clunky and the paper MS is COVERED in big black question marks ???? which are my code for, what the hell did I mean by this?

I think this is normal but it's not much fun.

Anyhow, today I have finished going through the printed MS and I now return to the computer. This is going to be more very intense work, not helped by the fact that it coincides with a big Open University deadline, so much as I'd love to be blogging, I suspect I will be a little distant again. Sorry.

On the plus side, had a lovely time at Saffron Walden, with a very friendly crowd who asked some great questions and laughed in all the right bits of the reading. Though, to be fair, they laughed far more at Matt Dunn's brand new book, The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook which is WELL worth your dosh and currently on offer in Tesco. Though, of course, I can't get stuck into reading it at the moment due to the killer edits.

I have a feeling my social life for the next week will be limited to the man coming round to fit the blinds.

Lovely Link of the Day:
Via the fessingauthor, I clicked onto Non-Working Monkey which is extraordinarily funny but has made me feel like even more of a hack writer. Hopefully this feeling will pass.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate

I have word ache all the time, and that sense of despair and discomfort is all too familiar.

But we'll get there in the end!

love

Wendy

4:06 pm  
Blogger NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

But, but ... you're WRITING A BOOK. I couldn't if I tried. But thank you for the lovely link.

Sorry the latest post is so full of sweary words even my mother felt moved to comment.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Morning-Loves-It said...

Very funny link to non-workingmoney and then from there to Tired Dad - still laughing here.

11:46 am  
Blogger Caroline said...

I enjoyed this blog. And will give Matt Dunn's book a try. As you can imagine - I often respond to adverts on TV!
And you're right NWM is worth several visits.
Cx

8:55 am  
Anonymous Kate Hardy said...

Kate, this is all part of editingitis. You hate the book, the book hates you, yada yada yada - and then it suddenly clicks into place. You'll be fine.

And remember what you said to me about impostor syndrome. Goes for you, too. :o)

2:38 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks, Wendy: the ache's definitely intermittent and it's going better this week!

NWM you COULD write a book if you wanted to, I'm sure! And I checked out your dating site and saw you were hoping to write an advice book which would DEFINITELY be a hit, I reckon.

Hi Caroline, love the blog. Will link to it, thanks for your message. And Kate, yes, how do you think I knew so much about Imposter Syndrome - I have a classic case!

4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home