Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Facts (and Figures) of an Author's Life

Word Count: 113,577
Number of Open University End of Course Assessments Marked: 3.5
Number of enjoyable laid back authory coffee shop visits: 0
Number of Links I Love that obstinately refuse to show up properly since I fiddled with them: 7
Number of fun shopping trips to buy new winter coat: 0
Number of days before OU Assessments need to be posted: 10
Number of days before I said I'd return my book edits: 11
Number of days before men arrive to rip up floors and build new wardrobes, creating huge dust and noise: 9
Number of fantastic suppers at trendy restaurants to celebrate continuing Indian summer:0
Number of minutes spent posting this: 8
Number of minutes attempting to sort out the links index: 32
Number of swearwords uttered during that 32 minutes: approx 64

Still, I wouldn't have it any other way...beats working for a living, eh?

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue aka MsCreativity said...

That is one busy workload! Are you sure the swearwords only amount to 64? ;-)

Sue :-)

6:51 pm  
Blogger Beth said...

Aside from the floor demolition, it sounds better than work! And just think of all the authory coffee shops and new coats waiting you in 12 days...

8:36 pm  
Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

Eek! I feel really guilty now for adding to your workload. I think you'll need a week of shopping and coffeeing to recover from that lot.
I'm in the same boat, though - I never manage to give myself days off either. Something to do with being self-employed, I reckon, and not being very good at saying no to things. I'd be outraged if any employer gave me the workload that I dish out to myself!

9:43 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Sue, the 64 swearwords were just during the attempts to sort the links out!

Beth, yes, you are right. I know I am very lucky - and I love what I do. I just don't really LIKE the book that much, though I do still LOVE it in the way that you love your nearest and dearest even if you've just argued with them.

And Lucy/Sue - don't fret. Reading is always fun. Hmmm am still adapting to the freelance overwork thing, and looking forward to the fun of relaxing in November! Hope the weather is perfect for outings and coffee drinking!

Have also just sorted my links out - if I have left any of my regulars off, please message me, because I was getting so cheesed off with it I might have been sloppy...

12:16 pm  
Blogger Political Umpire said...

Believe you me, there are many of us out here (ok one that I know of for sure) who would love to be full time authors but have managed nothing more than a hasty and anonymously written blogsite.

11:53 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh, Political. Am worried I sound like a frightful whinger now. I'm not, honest. I just wish that life came in nice even portions, rather than being quite so all or nothing.

Still, where would we be without adrenalin?

12:05 pm  
Blogger Political Umpire said...

Actually no it was me who was being the whinger - or so I intended.

Some people like living on adrenaline. Others don't, hence hanker after the romantic lifestyle of a travelling author, or at least I do even if I haven't managed it yet ...

Meant to say I was enjoying reading your blog!

2:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home