Sunday, October 29, 2006

Done and dusted for now

Word Count:117,608

HOORAH! Sent it off! I have finally finished this set of edits, which means life will return to normal for a while...

I finished yesterday afternoon, after tweaking and polishing and losing track of where on earth I was. I am still not 100 per cent sure about some aspects, but it's much better than the first draft. Of course, the moment I pressed send, I thought of about 100 other changes I could have made, and spotted a couple of missing words, but it would have looked daft to send another copy so soon after that one.

I'm never quite sure how much info to put on emails to my editor when I'm attaching a typescript. I'd love to be able to go: Here you are, enjoy! And yet, I always seem to need to mention a couple of things, perhaps that reflects my lack of confidence. This time I mentioned that I have sought permission to use a lyric at the beginning, but have alternative plans if it doesn't work; explained what I plan to do with a few more mad statistics I will add; and mentioned my prologue ambivalence (which is because it's a flashback to an incident in my main character's childhood, and therefore arguably isn't as immediate as a present-day opening...I think prologues need to have a very good reason to be there, and my reason here is that my main character's life at the beginning is defined by its limitations - which is funny, but by its nature not all that dramatic).

Of course, the worry is that by drawing attention to possible flaws, you're focusing your editor's mind on a problem which may not exist. But, on balance, it's the right thing to do, I reckon. We shall see. If there are changes, I suspect they'll be to that opening.

PS: I actually felt quite tearful with happiness for my main character when writing my last chapter. Is that sad or rather nice?

Lovely Link of the Day:
The Rejecter is DEFINITELY going onto my favourite links as soon as I have the energy to get my head round HTML again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dave Hill said...

Hello! Regarding your P.S. the answer is "rather nice." Regarding the rest of the post, I know that feeling. I know all of them. Shudder!

6:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's brilliant, how exciting. Good luck.

I can't wait to be at that stage myself. Until then though, at least I can experience it vicariously through your blog!

And thanks so much for the encouraging comments on my blog. I bought Brown Owl's Guide to Life the other week (I may have told you that already, sorry if I'm repeating myself), so I'll be reading that very soon.

P.S. Really rather nice.

4:47 pm  
Blogger Beth said...

Rather nice!

10:49 pm  
Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

VERY nice, I'd say. Congrats on hitting the Send button. What a joyous moment in an author's life!
Does this mean you will actually be giving yourself some TIME OFF for all that nice shopping/lunching stuff that everyone thinks authors/self-employed people do all the time?!
Sue x

9:54 am  
Blogger Dr. Lisa said...

CONGRATS!!!!! YAYAYAYYAYA!! WOOT!!

12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home