Thursday, October 05, 2006

Crosspatch

Word count: 114,092

Yes, I am in slash 'n' burn mode! The edits are still slow-going, but satisfying at times. I know the characters so well now that when something doesn't ring true, it leaps out at me. And I am being ruthless in cutting a lot of the 'Harrisonisms' that have crept into the text. Whenever I read stuff out, people say I have a very distinctive style, which is probably a good thing, but I tend to overegg the pudding with too many random observations. The way I write is very much the way I am: not great at focusing on one thing at a time. I've definitely got worse as I've got older, and broadband doesn't help. There's always another cute blog to check, another news site to read...

Apart from my borderline Attention Deficit Disorder, the other main hurdle to work has been consumer rage. Hopeless Hillarys Blinds sending us not 3 but 1 blind for the big living room bay window. This mistake has pretty much confined us to the back of the house now it's getting darker, because otherwise people stare in to see us watching Spooks or eating a takeaway: it is very humiliating to have our rather dull domesticity on show. I have sent an email of complaint but they can't even be bothered to reply. Obviously, in the interests of fairness, if they do I will post it here.

Then there is the stationery company where I ordered my favourite pens. You can always tell a writer is in procrastination mode when s/he begins buying office supplies. Though it is almost justified in the case of the Pilot V-Ball Grip (no, I am not on commission) which virtually writes your stuff for you it's so dreamy. And which I haven't been able to find in the shops. I used one when the BBC department I worked for accidentally ordered a QUALITY pen for the stationery cupboard, and was hooked.

Anyhow, I found the pens online, and ordered two boxes, plus some extra sticky Post-It notes to use on my wall, to emulate those ultra-successful Hollywood types who plot their plots visually. Instead, I got a packet of Post-It index stickies, which I have never seen a use for. I rang up and - very efficiently - they sent two couriers yesterday. One to pick up the index stickies (retail cost: £6.80), and a completely separate one to deliver a tiny bundle of extra-sticky Neon Post-Its (retail cost: £4.50).

And they wonder why global warming happens, eh? I did tell them on the phone that the Post-Its weren't life or death - and couldn't they have sent me an SAE for the index stickies? Still, I guess you can't fault them for efficiency.

But I do love Lakeland Limited. They always deliver quickly. Their products are great (I ordered 12 jam jars with gingham lids as the edits have given me a strong desire to procrastinate by pickling) and everything works. The one joy of getting older is that I can finally confess to my Lakeland habit - it really wasn't cool to be buying jam jars and lemon zesters when I was 22.

Lovely Link of the Day:
I do like author and journalist Dave Hill's blog: I don't agree with it all, but he's injecting humour into politics, which is a good thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lesley Cookman said...

Hi Kate. I've just joined the world of blogging, which was a terrible thing to do with a book due to be delivered by early November. Are all writers procrastinators? Discuss.

My particular betes-noir at present are dishwashers. One built in job had to be taken away as it was obviously a "Friday" machine, bought a new one and can't get the door on and that also keeps stopping without warning. Oh, to have a bloke around, even if he can't do it himself - just to moan at.

9:26 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Lesley,
Thanks for your post - will link to your blog soon! Welcome to the time warp.

Hope your dishwasher crisis is resolved. I am still at war with Hillarys...

Kate

4:18 pm  
Anonymous Dave Hill said...

What terrible taste in pens. Otherwise, fine blog

http://davehill.typepad.com/temperama/2006/10/sunday_service_1.html

With Warm Wishes

6:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen load of posts around the place talking about how bad Hillarys Blinds are. It’s amazing they are such a big company.

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home