Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The shortest diet in history

My resolve to go low-carb again lasted three hours, until I remembered I had leftover potato salad in the fridge (with home-made herb mayo: irresistible).

My new strategy is walking - yesterday I walked for about two hours around Bushy Park, and today I walked alongside the Thames for a more manageable 35 minutes. Trying to walk briskly enough to burn calories is a bit of a challenge, but I've also ordered a very cheap MP3 player today to help me on my way...though ironically that means staying indoors tomorrow to wait for it to arrive from amazon.

All of this is, of course, time-wasting while I await my editor's verdict on the book. I had another look today at the opening and was none the wiser about whether it was a) rubbish or b) the best piece of literature since Hamlet. The answer will lie somewhere between the two, presumably closer to a) than b) judging from past performance, but I have a horrible feeling that the rewrites I've done haven't helped me a lot.

I also saw a man about my pension today. Oh God. I like to think I'm a relatively bright person (I got a B in my O Level Maths) but I don't have the foggiest idea whether I am doing the right thing or not. A real headache, but I guess I just have to trust my instincts. If I can work out what they are.

Also went to library and got out: Rose Elliot's Low Carb Veggie cookbook; Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales; Body Parts: Essays on Life-writing (to complement the Life-writing section of the OU course) and a slightly new agey book called The Art of Story-Telling. Plenty there to keep me busy. Plus I do have a big copy-writing project to get on with, so no excuse to sit on sofa eating truffles...

Lovely Link of the Day:
Publishing types are getting into blogging in the UK at last: there's the Penguin Blog and then one where Scott Pack, formerly the Waterstones man all publishers wined and dined, and now of The Friday Project, promises to spill the beans on why he left. But now he's gone AWOL for a few days. I think he's teasing us, don't you, girls and boys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home