Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Death by chilli










The deadly blighters...
I thought I was going to collapse last night after slicing into a chilli pepper from the plant we've been growing on the patio (as seen above in slightly surreal night-time shot). I was on the phone to my friend and halfway through spouting about something or other - Robbie Williams, I think, as she's off to see him for work today in Germany and I was telling her that if he asked, it would be churlish to refuse - when my lungs and throat seemed to stop taking in air and everything from my skin to my mucous membranes (fortunately not those ones) erupted in a sizzle of chilli heat. I swear I only touched the things for a few seconds, before throwing away the seeds.

I guess because they're freshly picked they are more savage but this Good Life has its downsides. I never saw Felicity Kendal having a plant-related asthma attack.

Next time, gloves and surgical mask are called for I guess.

The dish I was making, courgette and feta fritters, was nice though not very frittery, as you can't buy flour from Marks and Spencer.

I've been working on the copy-writing today, and playing with new Creative Zen thingy, which annoyed me rather as the CD it came with made me install all kinds of fancy programs, but I don't need ANY of them as far as I can tell. And my computer is clunky enough without extra software.

Lovely Link of the Day:
More top tips, this time from good old Karin again). See, she never moans about chillis.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Julia said...

Courgette and feta fritters sound gorgeous. I might even have a go at making those myself.

What do you do, just spread feta over the courgettes, coat them in batter and deep fry?

7:00 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Not quite...you have to grate the courgettes and add spring onions or sliced Spanish onions - mix with a chopped chilli, crumbled up feta, some herbs if you fancy them, an egg and some flour until the whole mix sticks together a bit. Then you can get away with shallow-frying them in olive oil. Even if they don't hold together they're quite nice. Sort of Mediterrannean bubble 'n' squeak.

11:21 am  
Anonymous Julia said...

Ooh, I bet they're yummy. Thanks Kate.

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home