Wednesday, August 16, 2006

And the answer is...(competition!)

I am out of my suspense now. My editor hasn't yet had time to read my MS. Up to her clogs in a fantastic saga, apparently. So I haven't yet had my MS thrown across the room, but neither have I had the total thumbs up. Nearly there, though.

So I've been doing a synopsis a day, plus the copy-writing project. But the biggest task of all is thinking of a new title for book 4, The Scaredycat's Handbook. It seems the title is probably too vague, not really descriptive enough to get people picking it up or knowing what it's about. Obviously I do love the title but I can also see the problem, so if anyone has a good title to match the following, do please add your comments. Prize is a proof copy*, a mention in acknowledgements and an invite to the next launch party**....

Jo Morgan is a self-confessed Scaredycat. As a Disaster Prevention Officer, she spends her days weighing up the dangers of everything from meteor showers to horny bulls rampaging through the local shopping centre. In fact, Jo's life has been one big preparation for Disaster. As a child living near the famous Greenham Common Air Base, she stockpiled baked beans in case of nuclear holocaust - and now, every decision she makes is carefully considered, based on available statistics. But she's happy... well, as happy as anyone can be in these dangerous days. Fortunately her boyfriend - disaster planning head honcho Dennis Diffley - shares her outlook on life, so everything they do together involves the minimum possible risk. From their social lives to their sex lives, spontaneity is not in the vocabulary.

The morning after Valentine's Day, Jo is walking to work (having forgotten her reflective jacket due to a mild hangover) when she's mowed down by a push-bike and suffers a serious head injury. She falls into a coma, with vivid and unsettling flashbacks of her Scaredycat childhood. She comes round two days later, and realises she's been given a second chance at life - but it'll take fellow patient and former fighter pilot Frisky Freeman van Belle - and his mysterious American grandson, Luke - to help Jo make the most of living, and loving, in dangerous times.

All suggestions very welcome.

Lovely Link of the Day:
An interesting article about the struggles of authors who made it big with their first novels - and now need to repeat the magic with their second book.

*Assuming I finish my edits in time for proofs to be published...
** And you can have a lager and lime on me!

12 Comments:

Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

I love the "support group for second novelists in LA" - excellent. Why don't they have one of those in Brighton?

Love your title competition...am already racking my brains...
Sue x

8:43 pm  
Blogger Beth said...

Maybe "Second Chance"... referring to life, and at writing...?

9:36 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Can I make the least helpful suggestion ever and say that I really like your original title? I think most people have an element of the scaredycat about them and would be intrigued.

This site is excellent and I shall put a link to it from mine.

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Keris said...

Courting Disaster springs to mind, but I like something with Scaredycat too - I've been intrigued since you first mentioned it. It sounds fab, btw.

10:03 pm  
Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

Living Dangerously?
Or just 'Scaredycat' on its own?
(I'm with Dave and Keris, always liked the original but hey...)

9:22 am  
Blogger City Slicker said...

Like the blog.

12:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...what about 'The Anticipation of Adversity' or 'Anticipating Adversity'

...or is it a bit dark for your book? It may give it a wrong feel!

...worth a try though!!

You mentioned something about a lecture you and a writer friend were going to set up about getting published - are you still going ahead with this? It sounds interesting!

Sarah

12:48 pm  
Blogger Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Ooh, I LOVE the prizes for this competition...

Okay, how about "When Disaster Strikes, Scaredycats Run"
Sue :-)

2:05 pm  
Anonymous Keris said...

I agree with Sue - just Scaredycat is great.

5:06 pm  
Anonymous Cathy said...

How about
'Risk Assessment'?

2:16 pm  
Anonymous jill mansell said...

How about
No More Scaredycat
Or
Goodbye, Scaredycat

(OK, the word scaredycat has now started to look really weird...!)

11:43 pm  
Anonymous Keris said...

The Fear Factor?

1:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home