Monday, July 17, 2006

Still hot...

Word Count: 109,282

...and still working hard. This weekend involved lots of lugging around of furniture, and lots of discussions between self and boyf about whose wineglasses are nicest, and whose should be stored in the kitchen or the garage. One of the consequences of establishing a home on your own and then moving in with someone who has done the same.

My glasses are, of course, the nicer ones. Though I will admit to some minging cutlery.

I am about three-quarters of the way through revising the WIP, but it's the last quarter where the biggest changes will be made. And THEN I need to go back and put in lots of little blog entries, as this is part of the way the story is constructed, with lots of statistics. This will take a lot of research, but should be satisfying to see it coming together. They'll either add texture to the story or prove highly confusing. Let's hope it's the former!

I've also decided to add a new bit to the blog, inspired by the woman who cooked all the French dishes by Julia Childs in her apartment. Mine is less ambitious, but will involve listing what I cooked from the organic box of veggies we're trialling. Kind of seasonal eating. My cookbook mainly is the Leith's Vegetarian Bible, with support from the 121 recipe books I own.

Box contents today: oranges, pears, onions, courgettes, lettuce, mushrooms, new potatoes, broad beans.

So... today I did:
Pak Choi with ginger and garlic for lunch. This wasn't bad at all, though a bit samey after a while...I think I needed more garlic. But I loved the 'heart' of the pak choi, and will post a photo when I've worked out how to do that.

Dinner: mushroom curry. Learned how to create your own spice paste years ago at an Indian cookery class. Yum. Curry powder is not even related. The smell of roasted coriander and cumin, fried with garlic, ginger and onions, transformed the kitchen and my overheated mood...actually, I think it was the cardamom that added the 'je ne sais quoi' to the finished dish, which also had carrot, courgette, orange peppers and Greek yogurt. Also, why does cardamom come out of the pods in two colours, black and light brown? Anyone know?

Lovely Link of the Day:
Some pages from the Julie/Julia project: obviously I would love a cookery book deal, but mainly this is inspiration...

2 Comments:

Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

Ooh...yum, salivating at the thought of that food. Top addition to the blog! Am looking forward to the next instalment already.
By the way, have been meaning to email for ages to say I LOVED Brown Owl. Really really enjoyed it. So warm and funny and original. Especially loved Paula and her game-playing alias - inspired!
Sue x

11:47 am  
Blogger diane s said...

Just read the Julie/Julia book- fab! It's being made into a film, you know... x

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home