Monday, June 12, 2006

Hot Typing

Word count: 106,795

It is harder to write when it's hot outside - having a laptop on the lap is not exactly a cooling experience, plus there's the mild mental torment of knowing that in theory I am 'on holiday' AND in an unheard of coincidence, that 'holiday' time has the sunniest weather in years...but I still want to meet my own deadline.

Today I've spent a lot of time watching videos of programmes made during the Cold War era, about the effects of nuclear blasts. Even now, when (arguably) the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction has passed, the footage is chilling, and I remember how terrifying it was when I was a child: well, that's the whole theme of the book, fear, but watching this has helped me reconnect with those days.

I'm more or less on target to finish the first draft by Thursday (although I know the boyf is going to be unhappy if I am not fully in packing mode on that day) and then I will print it out and begin to rewrite digest. Well, in between moving house, leaving work, celebrating boyf's 40th, and generally beginning Whole New Life.

Lovely Link of the Day:
Via Keris, I clicked on Cynthea Liu's site, which offers a good, no-nonsense crash course in writing children's fiction.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Keris said...

God, I was absolutely terrified of the prospect of nuclear war when I was younger. I practised running home from school in less than 3 minutes (in case of the 3 minute warning) and once lay in bed crying because the sunset was purple and I thought it meant a bomb had gone off somewhere. Overactive imagination, see.

I blame the Protect and Survive leaflets. And When The Wind Blows. And Two Tribes. And Dancing With Tears in My Eyes. *shudders*

8:53 pm  
Blogger Fiona said...

I'm happy to have found your blog and homepage - I loved 'The Starter Marriage' and plan on buying 'Brown Owl's Guide to life' very shortly... :) I love to read about the day to day process of creating these novels that arrive fully formed in my hands so a writer's blog such as yours is a treasured find! :)
Best of luck with the writing, I look forward to popping back here often and also reading more from you, hope the move goes well (we recently went through it too) and enjoy the warm weather!

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

The only great thing about the cold war was the fear it struck into us to avoid a real one! I remember studying this at university and the picture always terrified me.

11:45 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Hello...Keris, they're all in the book! What's been weird about researching the book is how scared so many people were - yet at the time I remember feeling so alone. One of the shows I've just watched is the famous QED: A Guide to Armageddon, which is a brilliantly made programme but utterly terrifying. They actually built the shelters in P&S and sent a couple down one for two weeks. Kind of Nuclear Big Brother...

Fiona, nice to see you here, and thanks for the kind words about Starter Marriage - you come back again! And Alexandra, yes, it did hit home that this would really be 'the war to end all wars' - if only because there'd be no-one left to fight another one.

9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home