Thursday, June 08, 2006

Home Page

Word Count:93,707

Hoorah! We have exchanged contracts, at last. In just under two weeks, we should be standing surrounded by boxes, people and furniture, trying to stay calm...Now, having been in this situation about six months ago, I know that exchange doesn't ABSOLUTELY guarantee the house is yours, but if something goes wrong, we have a nice little bonus deposit with which to drown our sorrows.

The last year has been pretty stressful, largely down to the moving (or non-moving) process. I keep reading complaints in the papers about the Home Information Packs which the government plans to bring in next summer. Guess what? All the complaints are from estate agents and solicitors. I am sure there are delightful people in both 'professions' but certainly, many of the former are unprofessional and use approaches and tactics most businesses would see as unethical. In the last twelve months, almost all the agents I actually liked and trusted have left to pursue other careers. Funny that. So I would take all the moans about the HIPS with a huge pinch of salt. In my case, these Packs would have saved me thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours of stress and worry, by showing immediately that vendors are being economical with the truth. Not so sure about the 'survey' side, but forcing vendors to have their paperwork available upfront would make a tremendous difference.

Right, whinge over. Time to requaint myself with the relative merits of different washing machine cycles and makes, and to work through my change of address list. Time to arrange parties and buy these gorgeous deckchairs. Time, I hope, for a relaxing summer...

Except....oh, that's right. Doh! I have a book to finish. Keep the Pimms on ice.

Lovely Link of the Day:
I'm dreaming of a home office...

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue aka MsCreativity said...

That's great news Kate! You must be so relieved. I remember the stress of buying and selling all too well.

I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible for you.

11:22 am  
Blogger Kate.Kingsley said...

I'm still in the process of buying, although the selling bit is done & dusted (eventually!), so I totally empathise. Think I'm into the home strait now ~ if i never fill in another form as long as I live I'll be more than happy!

Well done, Kate, glad you got sorted, good luck with the novel.

12:25 pm  
Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

You must be so chuffed and relieved - brilliant. It is sooo stressful, the whole process, enough to put you off moving ever again, I think!
Good luck with the rest of the novel - sounds like you are very nearly there. Do you have a nice office room lined up in your new place? It will be odd to work somewhere different, I should think. Btw, I finished the first draft of my second novel today. Beat you by a whisker!
Sue x

6:22 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks, girls. MsCreativity, relief is not the word...though I still can't believe it!

Kate, good luck with your purchase. And Alias/Sue - oh, I really thought I was going to beat you to the finish line...

Kate x

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Kate Hardy said...

This is... what... 90th time lucky? Seriously, I'm glad this finally seems to be working out. Hope the move is really smooth.

4:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home