Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Finished!

Word count:114,002

I finished the first draft at 8.45 this morning...Hoorah!

I know from experience that this is only the beginning, but this is in better shape than previous books, certainly the first half is anyhow, and I wanted to get it 'down' so I could begin to rewrite.

Now I can turn my attention to:
  • Dealing with cat who went all sickly last night (I think - hope, really - that it's just feline cystitis. Poor thing seems very out of sorts, she's going to be utterly freaked by going to the vet just days before we move but you can't waste time with sickly. My efforts to make her drink cranberry juice have not been appreciated);
  • Looking up safety statistics online for my chapter headings while I still have my work library archive log-in;
  • Packing;
  • Moving;
  • Settling in;
  • Taking Redundancy;
  • Celebrating boyf's BIG birthday;
  • Beginning new life.

Oh and tonight I have a swanky (but conveniently local) launch party to attend. It will feel so much better now this is under my belt!

Lovely Link of the Day:

One of my biggest bugbears editing my own work is repeated words so it's fun to use this tool and check your own word frequency. It just handled my entire MS which is amazing, I used 13824 unique words and the top words are:

5372 THE
3476 I
2952 TO
2827 A
2611 AND
2162 OF
1440 IN
1372 MY
1180 HE
1149 IT
1072 YOU
1064 THAT

It only gets interesting in the lower reaches, with 64 'feeling's and 47 'bloody's.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shirl said...

What a great post:

1 - congratulations on completing M/S draft. Must be a good feeling to get the story down.
2 - Get Well Pussycat (don't drink the juice - it's for humans really, go to the vet and be a good cat there)
3 - Hope the move goes well. I feel as if I am the only person I know who isn't moving right now
4 - the Tool is great - bookmarked and used on my Chapter One - quite pleasing results, so far...
5 - finished Brown Owl's Guide to Life last night - really enjoy your novels on a theme - the look back at part of one's history dovetailed into the present (albeit fictional, it could be any of us) is a neat trademark for which you deserve credit in the public domain Kate! Starting with Old School Ties, then the A Starter Marriage and now this girlhood theme - well done!

12:29 pm  
Blogger diane s said...

Congrats on finishing the draft! :)

well done!!

Hope your cat feels better soon...and good luck for the move.

D xx

4:41 pm  
Blogger Alias Lucy Diamond said...

Wow...it really was by a whisker. Congrats...brilliant to get it done before the move. Hope it all goes well!
Sue

11:31 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you, folks. Shirl, the pussycat is rather grumpy and about to get grumpier as today is her Move In day! And thank you for your lovely comments about the book, I really appreciate it.

And Diane and 'Lucy' thanks too for the good luck wishes. So far only one broken glass but still lots of unpacking to do!

6:14 am  
Blogger MarkFarley said...

I think the F word word be on my list... and the word BOOK.

How are you? Missed you... hope you are ok. xx

1:26 pm  
Blogger MuseinMeltdown said...

What a To Do List !! could almost make a book in its own right....

Shani

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home