Friday, February 17, 2006

All gone a bit Pete Tong

Word Count: the same

Well, House Number 2 has officially bitten the dust - I had to have a proper think about it but called this morning to pull out. It's very depressing as it was the perfect house for me in so many ways: structurally very sound, nicely decorated, well cared for and with a very happy feel about it.

BUT...

Isn't there always a but? In this case, it's the old industrial site at the end of the road that seems certain to be developed for housing. The road I was buying on is a narrow little row of terraces, with this site at the end. The plans haven't been given permission yet but, with modifications, they almost certainly will be. It means up to 30 new homes, with all the building noise and traffic for up to two years: plus of course, the road will no longer be a dead end but an access route to the building site first of all (and you can barely get a Mini down the road, never mind a crane or excavator) and then to brand new flats. As I plan to work from home, it just wasn't going to work out. Very disappointed. I feel sorry for the people who live there as it's been sprung on them, but also a little surprised that the sellers couldn't find the paperwork of their very strong objection to the development - when I found their protest with about three clicks on the internet. Hmm. Another couple of thousand pounds down the drain but better than being stuck in a construction nightmare.

Onwards and upwards, eh? Am having a skive of a day as I feel a bit cheesed off. Last night's party was great fun. It was at the Wallace Collection, this incredible building just north of Oxford St in Central London. Saw some of my favourite people from my publisher, and generally scoffed lots of champagne and canapes. We also got a goodie bag with Green & Blacks truffles and two of the most successful books on their list. Which is good as I have just finished The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen, which I really enjoyed: a very odd, compelling idea that in many ways doesn't add up, yet in the internal dynamic of the story, it made perfect sense and had real 'unputdownability'. Very strong voice as well.

I also feel buoyed up by a fantastic quote from Kate Bradley at Book Club Associates in the Bookseller magazine. She said that:
"The most exciting release in the fiction market [in May] is, for me, Kate
Harrison’s Brown Owl's Guide to Life, the brilliant follow-up to The Starter Marriage. Apparently, more than 50% of British women will be Brownies or Guides at some point in their lives – and in this book Lucy Collins decides that the old values and frontier spirit of the Brownies could be the key to sorting out her problems. If you, like me, can still recite the Brownie Guide Law and wish that life could be as simple as wanting to be an Imp or a Pixie again, then you too will love this book."

What a lovely thing to say... and I promise I haven't bribed her... Hope that doesn't seem to showy-offy but I was thrilled.

Lovely Link of the Day:
Here's some information about the expression that has given me my blog title today: 'it's all gone a bit Pete Tong' means, it's all gone wrong. Pete Tong is a British DJ.

2 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

The thing is that after losing a house, you find another and you know that the one you lost wasn't the right one anyway. You can start to see it's faults.

At the time though it's sad and upsetting but you get over it - as soon as you find another. It will happen. Indeed it sounds as though you have already seen this one's faults.

Good luck with the house hunting.

9:38 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Walker,
Thanks for the kind words - you're right, I have seen the faults with this house - it's just that right now buying ANY house seems an impossible quest.

Ah well, things will get better I know.

Kate x

7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home