Sunday, January 22, 2006

Artic Monkeys minus three hours and counting

Word Count: 19,652

I am so super uncool on the music front that I buy about one CD a year, have only just downloaded my first iTunes and still singalong to the occasional Dire Straits track (I can't believe I have admitted that publicly). But I am unfeasibly excited by tomorrow's release of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Which makes me slightly worried for those poor Monkeys because it can hardly add to their street cred that thirtysomething (and not even EARLY thirtysomething) uncool women like me are singing along...

But hey. They're laughing all the way to the bank whatever happens.

I've been writing and editing this weekend, trying not to think about houses. Another viewing on a house I like on Saturday - one in a street where I swore I'd never buy, but this one is special - but there is someone else who has offered lots of dosh, more than I believe it's realistically worth, so I am just hoping my lack of a chain might help. And there will ALWAYS be other houses. I only want one, though. That's all it'll take...

Like most Brits, I was also glued to the story of the poor whale who washed up in the Thames. So sad. I am not smart enough scientifically to know whether this is simply a sorry accident, or a harbinger of doom (can an event be a harbinger, or only a person? Such a good word, either way) but it was hard not to get involved at some level.

Tomorrow is apparently the most depressing day of year so the sensible strategy of counting your blessings is worth trying. Here are some of mine:
  • enjoyed a beautiful sunny day today with the boyf
  • ate the best chocolate and almond cake in the world at Petersham Nurseries Cafe (though, guys, £6 for a bowl of soup seems excessive)
  • just finished Chris Manby's The Matchbreaker which was the best she's written so far (book ten, so if you haven't discovered her, it's about time you did). Really good example of a novel that grips, despite having a fairly unsympathetic narrator: you still root for her.
  • remembered I love writing - when I get round to it!
  • saw hundreds of deer in Richmond Park

Lovely Link of the Day:

MJ Rose's blog has some interesting stuff about whether your friends read your work, and whether you should be hurt or relieved if they don't...

5 Comments:

Blogger diane s said...

ooh I like Chris Manby, must check that one out...

I'm even less cool than you- in my twenties & hardly ever buy new music & never know what's in the charts...I HAVE heard of the 'Monkeys though...They're from my home town :)

have fun!

3:28 pm  
Blogger MarkFarley said...

hey, its me, the B Double-T...

is the word count referring to Brown Owls or something else you are working on?

12:23 am  
Blogger Walker said...

I'm in my mid 50s and looking forward to buying the Artic Monkeys album so you think you've got problems. One of the joys of being older is the anticipation of doing a thing - so I will get the album soon .....

Have you got it yet ? What do you think of it ?

We're a young as we feel and I'm grateful that some 'young' music still means something to me.

I'm also pretty keen on Bloc Party's Silent Alarm and Muse.

And all these years I've been listening mainly to American bands .....

11:20 am  
Blogger Kate said...

I am LOVING the Monkeys - especially Mardy Bum - what's your favourite, walker? It does amaze me how contemporary YET also 70s raw it feels... I predict a comeback for Talk Talk next!

Mark, Brown Owl is done and dusted, thank goodness or I would be in a mad panic. The word count is for Scaredycat's Handbook, my fourth book.

8:09 pm  
Blogger Walker said...

My favourite ? Probably Riot Van at present. I like the way Alex Turner sings in dialect form. No mid-Atlantic vocals from him.

As you say it is raw ..... and full of life.

I am surprised though that it is so popular. I wouldn't have thought it would have appealed to so many people. Glad it does though.

8:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home