Friday, September 30, 2005

Broken my duck

Word count: 1,124

Today, at last, I started writing. Not a HUGE amount, but enough to make me feel less worried about every single word being perfect, and every paragraph being beautifully crafted. You can't work that way, at least I can't... so I am diving into the sharp, cold, inhospitable waters of Novel 4. I am going to try to do a certain number of words a day. Not sure how many yet. Is 500 enough? I am so out of practise.

Apart from that, I am still waiting to see what's happening with the house I like, have made an offer on, but don't know if it's going to work out. I've been for an interview about tutoring on a new Open University writing course, which sounds very interesting and could complement my plans for full-time writing. And I've been counting my blessings: various people close to me are still having a tough time and I want to be there for them AND also make the most of the wonderful things in my own life...

Lovely Link of the Day:
I've been trying to find synonyms for coward: and this dictionary of slang, though not quite coming up with all the goods, is suitably profane and funny. Most of it is silly rather than obscene eg:
dead heat in a Zeppelin race
Noun. Describing very large breasts on a woman. E.g."Wow! Look at her, looks like a dead heat in a Zeppelin race."

I still haven't worked out whether 'broken my duck' is, as I think, an extension of a cricketing term (a duck being not scoring any wickets) OR much ruder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home