Saturday, September 17, 2005

The art of procrastination

Word count for book 4: I'll give you 3 guesses...

Today I have:
  • swept the floor: where the hair count from my head does seem to be decreasing (am worried I am going to turn into poor Gail Porter who has lost all her hair from alopecia
  • cleaned the bathroom from top to toe
  • gone through my videos and blank DVDs to work out what programmes are on which discs
  • wandered round the garden picking at the odd weed - weirdly, my tiny apple tree is blossoming again, obviously thinking it's spring. It's going to get a shock when the weather turns colder
  • put on my central heating again

I am really struggling to get on with Book 4. I think it's a combination of all the uncertainties in my life AND the fact that this one is dear to my heart. Plus it has a complex structure and I think maybe I need to work that out before I do anything else. Hmmm...

Lovely Link of the Day:

There's lots of useful stuff here about motivation to write: though I'm not sure I'm unmotivated - just nervous. This ISN'T writers' block... more writers' impasse.

What do you do when you hit a lean period?

3 Comments:

Anonymous nathaliesnotes said...

Maybe just journal until some of the other things that are up in the air come together. I believe writers are always working, even when they aren't upping their word count.

I really dig your blog! I just discovered it the other day and am looking forward to reading your work.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Edith said...

When I hit dry spells (more often than I'd like), I find quotations, paintings, photographs in newspapers & write about them to prove to myself that I still have a brain. Most of the time it kick starts my imagination but it can also give me too many ideas, which is almost as bad as none at all.

:)

9:42 am  
Anonymous Kate Hardy said...

There's a school of thought that says if you're worried about your book and give yourself permission to write rubbish, you'll relax enough to write something good. (Plus it's easier to fix a flawed page than a blank one.)

Two other things my agent told me that might help you too:
1) if the problem is with your hero or heroine, change the name and it will change the personality (this sounds weird but she was right - it solved the problem in my third book)

2) The second book you write is the hardest and it's the one where you normally get blocked. (She didn't tell me this until I'd finished book 3, which is where I'd got stuck - see (1) above).

Now, you've already written your second book and it was really good. So relax and give yourself a little bit of time (go househunting!!). You'll be fine. Trust me. ;)

7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home