Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Evil on the doorstep

Today I was going to post the usual moans about revising book 3 and mulling over book 4 and so on...

And then the nearest tube station to me - in fact, a tube that goes overground, which I have always loved about it, because it feels safer somehow - was evacuated in the latest bomb attack. It's about 10 minutes' walk away, in one of the least wealthy, most multi-culturally rich parts of West London. And someone wanted to bomb it.

It feels pretty unreal tonight. There are live pictures of the little train that I have taken hundreds of times to Baker Street (where Madame Tussauds's is) and to Euston Square (for trains up North) and to so many other places... right next to where I get my car serviced. The little train is sitting in the station while the police send in dogs and robotic bomb dectectors.

I was shocked, horrified, by the killings two weeks ago. My reaction to this is more confused: who was it? Why? I haven't done much work today.

Take care, everybody. Keep safe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cherlyn Michaels said...

I can certainly understand why you weren't able to continue writing. I've been following the news about London from my home in St. Louis, Missouri and have been shocked. Reading your post helps me to see the closeness and how personal it is to someone. I don't understand it all and I don't think I'd have been able to write either. Please be safe.

3:34 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Cherlyn: I keep thinking of all the people who have been genuinely affected, rather than simply confused or shocked, like me. The web is wonderful - almost everytime I go online I find evidence that human nature isn't all about cruelty - it can also be about compassion (if that doesn't sound too soppy). Take care...

3:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home