Monday, March 21, 2005

Bad news day...

Word count: don't care today...

So now we know. 51 per cent of producers in my department -which has made lots of top documentaries and won all sorts of awards - are being made redundant. People were expecting it yet it's still a shock when it comes. It's pretty savage in news and radio too... now we'll get letters asking if we want to volunteer but there won't be enough volunteers, and that's when it gets nasty.

None of us are immune from the way the world works - I've lost my job before and TV is very insecure anyway, because so many people want to work in the media so companies can afford to treat staff badly. Well, it is terrific fun, but if I had kids, I'd advise them to think very carefully about it. It's become like acting: a job where periods of 'resting' and no employment rights are part of the game.

I'm angry right now, so when I calm down I will probably see things differently. But despite an hour of listening to the Director General today I am not much clearer on why he's made the specific cuts he has. Or where the BBC will be at the end of them...

I'd be in a better mood if I'd been able to get to my writing critique group tonight, but the traffic out there is so bad it'll take me over an hour to get there and I can't face it. Ah well. Wine beckons, I think. Cheers, Mr Thompson...

Lovely Link of the Day:
Second plug for my web design guru James but his redundancy site seemed oddly appropriate today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home