Friday, February 18, 2005

Cover girl…

Word count:110,989

The glam world of magazines is proving fascinating, but there’s a limit to what I can tell you, because I’ve signed a confidentiality agreement, so this week I’m going to stick to writing-related stuff. Sorry, there’s no Devil Wears Prada UK going to be posted on here.

I am, apparently, on the front page of Writers’ Forum magazine (March issue is not showing up yet) in the UK this month which is fun… haven’t seen the magazine yet so will have to find one in the newsagent.

I’m making decent progress with Brown Owl, adding a couple of thousand words today alone. Even better, I think I’ve worked out a way of restructuring it so that I can keep it to the length I intended, rather than let it run away, which it was doing. I mean, long books are fine and dandy but sometimes you need to reign yourself in. My solution just means moving lots of the main action in the epilogue. Which will make no sense, but I am putting it here to remind myself, if I forget my brainwave.

I’ve been getting lots of brainwaves on the top deck of the 94 bus on my way to and from work, which is great, but does mean

Am feeling quite neglectful of my friends and family at the moment, as I am so focussed on trying to finish the first draft. January was busier socially than I intended and so I have been playing catch-up with the word count. So apologies to anyone reading this who hasn’t had an email or a phone call they’d expected. Normal service will be resumed, well, maybe around June. But then there’ll be another book to write (I hope, anyway, if anyone likes mine).

Book I am currently reading: Emma in the Orion press office very kindly gave me The Bitch Goddess Notebook in proof form and I am really loving it. Very acid smart writing with hard-to-put-down storylines. Excellent so far.

In fact, I think I’m going to read a chapter now over a glass of wine before I decide whether to bother to go out tonight, or whether I’d rather add to my word count. Oh my Friday nights are so thrilling…

Lovely link of the day:

Not sure if I’ve posted this before but this is hysterical: baby's named a bad, bad thing - I defy you not to laugh very very loudly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

Hi Kate,

I have two things in common with you...I am also in March Writers' Forum magazine: I wrote the article about the NaNoWrimo Challenge, CAN YOU WHIZZ THROUGH THE NANOWRIMO CHALLENGE? The second thing is that I have read The Bitch Posse or [Bitch Goddess Notebook], I belong to the same Yahoo group, Momwriters, as Martha O'Connor.

It's an excellent book. One of those books that is still with you when you finish. All I could say afterwards was, 'Wow!'

Lynette

11:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home