Sunday, November 07, 2004

Bridget Jones and me

Word count: 54,510

So… another weekend over and tomorrow I’m back in the office at the day job. I’ve really enjoyed having a week off to write, though I have procrastinated horribly as usual. The web is so good for information and connecting BUT I have so little self-control when it comes to reducing my surfing…

Last night I went to see Bridget Jones Edge of Reason with the boyf and decided that, apart from being in a relationship, I am Bridget. I mean, she’s very much a 90s phenomenon but I can tick almost all the boxes:

  • Overweight: check (but it was lovely to see someone plump-ish on screen)
  • Likes a glass of wine: check (though I prefer Merlot to Chardonnay)
  • Fundamentally lacking in confidence: check
  • Clumsy: double, triple check
  • Lives in fairly scummy flat: check

Ah well, hopefully I too will have a happy ending, though preferably not via a Thai prison (I hated this bit the most in the movie, as if Galaxy chocolate, Wonderbras and a copy of Men are from Mars, women are from Venus is going to help the poor women in a Thai jail). The best thing about Working Title movies is the way they make London look like the most beautiful city in the world…

Today went walking in drizzly old Holland Park, looking at the squirrels and the huge rabbits and the men in jeans doing T’ai Chi. I love Holland Park. Then had a Lebanese lunch, though when I went to the loo afterwards, I rather wished we hadn’t eaten there as they seemed to have been last cleaned circa 1978.

And then tonight boyf headed back home and I got writing again – making good progress though because I am motoring on with the novel, I haven’t finished the edit of the first 50,000 words to enable me to send it off to the Very Important People in my writing life.

Must relax shortly, with a copy of Angels. Marian Keyes’ writing is such an inspiration: it’s misleadingly effortless, yet when you analyse it carefully, you can see how well she’s using hooks and language to grip the reader. Well, a girl can emulate perfection!

Good night...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home